Wednesday, March 10, 2010

explanations

ok, voting is almost over because I really have to decide on a name asap, however some people have been asking for a little more information of the meanings behinds these names. being that I'm really not trying to pursue a career with my photography right now, just fulfill a passion, I wanted a name that reminds me of my joys in life. So the names below mean something special to me because I think they say something about me. it's a little bit personal but here goes:

two if by sea: ok so I like this one for a few reasons. the first being what it's famous for and that is Paul Revere's midnight ride. It was part of an alarm system to aid Americans in fighting the British before the Battles of Lexington and Concord during the Revolutionary War. being a patriot, I really appreciate what the phrase (one if by land, two if by sea) stands for. the second reason is that there is a restaurant in the city where Jordan took me the weekend we got engaged called one if by land. it was one of the most memorable nights of my life and so I think the phrase two if by sea is reflective of me. thirdly, I LOVE the sea/beach and so does my other half. the name reminds me of the two of us together and doing things we love.

through the looking glass: so obviously with this name there is the Alice in Wonderland connotation. becoming who you are and all that. Alice goes from girl to woman and there is something cool about that path to self-mastery and discovery that I find inspiring. the second thing I like about this name is purely that its a unique way to relate to a camera's lens. 

17 shutter street: this one is a little more subtle. besides the fact that I like the way it sounds the number 17 is the street address for the restaurant mentioned above. it was a pretty significant night for me and it makes me happy to remember that place. also 17 was a pretty important age for me. seems silly, but even though I had so much ahead of me at 17 it was then that I started to figure out where I was really going, or wanted to go that is. but most significantly, as my dad pointed out, Jordan and I met on 17th street in Huntington Beach and began the summer that changed my life!

Hope this gives everyone a little more insight. On Friday I'll announce the name. It's not going to be easy. Wish me luck!

No comments: